Since 1985, The Occidental College World Language Project, with sites in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties, has provided language educators with professional development programs that meet the needs of teachers throughout their careers. Programs focus on activities that reflect best practices grounded in the Common Core Standards, 21st Century Skills Map, California's World Language Content Standards, Foreign Language Framework, English Language Development and Career Technical Education Standards. Programs are offered once a month, on Saturdays throughout the year. For further information, visit www.la-stars.net, contact email@example.com or 323.259.2949.
[NEW] Common Core and Standards-Based Practices for Teachers of DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION
[NEW] Common Core and Standards-Based Practices for Teachers of FRENCH (LEVELS 1-AP)
[NEW] Beyond the Textbook: Standards-Based and Common Core UNIT DESIGN for Teachers of SPANISH SPEAKERS
[NEW] ADVANCED Common Core and Standards-Based PRACTICES for World Language Educators
[NEW] Developing LEADERSHIP Skills of World Language Educators: Common Core, Standards-Based Instruction
Join our email list at http://ymlp.com/xgmjjsusgmgb
NEED A TEACHER? NEED A JOB?
See the OCWLP Jobs Bulletin Board for Southern California at http://la-stars.net/jobs/
Visit the CALENDAR OF EVENTS for Southern California world language teachers.
If you have events to add, be sure to follow the format of the calendar, limit the entry to three lines and include a contact number or website. http://www.la-stars.net/calendar/
Since our programs are authorized by the State and Federal Government, you may wish to use funds from Title I, (Disadvantaged Learners), Title II, Part A (Professional Development), or Title III (English Learners).
SCHOLARSHIPS are available for teachers unable to secure funds through their schools or districts. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
UNITS may be purchased for courses linked to our programs. The current fee is $75 per semester unit.
SEPTEMBER - DECEMBER (4-session programs)
• [NEW] ADVANCED Common Core and Standards-Based PRACTICES for World Language Educators
• Enhancing Common Core and Standards-Based Instruction through TECHNOLOGY
• Using FILM and ONLINE TECHNOLOGIES to Enhance Common Core, Standards-Based Competencies of SPANISH SPEAKERS
• [NEW] Beyond the Textbook: Common Core and Standards-Based UNIT DESIGN for Teachers of SPANISH SPEAKERS
DECEMBER - APRIL (5-session programs)
• Common Core and Standards-Based Practices for Teachers of DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION
• Common Core and Standards-Based Practices for FOREIGN LANGUAGE and ELD Teachers
• Using STORIES to Enhance Common Core and Standards-Based FOREIGN LANGUAGE and ELD Instruction
• Common Core and Standards-Based Practices for Teachers of SPANISH SPEAKERS
• BEYOND THE TEXTBOOK Common Core and Standards-Based Instructional Practices (FOREIGN LANGUAGE, LEVELS 1-3)
• [NEW] Common Core and Standards-Based Practices for teachers of FRENCH (LEVELS 1-AP)
• Preparing Students for the Exam in AP Spanish LANGUAGE and Culture and the Common Core
• Preparing Students for the Exam in AP Spanish LITERATURE and Culture and the Common Core
• [NEW] Developing LEADERSHIP Skills of World Language Educators: Common Core, Standards-Based Instruction
FULL SCHOLARSHIPS are available for the UCLA-OCWLP MANDARIN TEACHER LEADERSHIP PROGRAM which will be offered on the same dates with our December-April program.
Please visit the site of the UCLA Confucius Institute for more information:
ONLINE COURSES (In Development)
• NATIONAL BOARD CERTIFICATION: World Languages and English as a New Language
• ASSESSMENT for Teachers of Foreign and Heritage Languages
• ONLINE MODULES for Enhancing Common Core and Standards-Based Instruction through TECHNOLOGY
Ongoing PARTNERSHIP PROGRAMS and CONTRACT SERVICES for School and Districts
2015-ongoing: University of Southern California Korean Language STARTALK Program
2012-ongoing: Qatar Foundation International Teacher Council and Curriculum Projects
2011-2014: Teach for America World Language Teacher Instructional Support Project
2010-ongoing: UCLA Confucius Institute Mandarin Teacher Leadership Project
2010-2013: Alameda County Office of Education FLAP: K-12 Arabic Immersion
2010-2013: Culver City USD FLAP: 9-12 Spanish Immersion/Native Speaker Project
2009-2012: Alliance for College Ready Schools Guaranteed Curriculum Project
2007-ongoing: STARTALK Arabic Teacher Leadership Project
2006-ongoing: Los Angeles USD World Language Instructional Support Project
2016, Occidental College World Language Project
2016, Synthesis of Standards Documents: Posters and Checklists
2014, World Language Education and the Common Core
2013, World Language and Culture Education, Then and Now
2009, The World Language Educator's Toolbox
2009, California World Language Content Standards
2003, California Foreign Language Framework
Brandon Zaslow is honored with Hal Wingard Lifetime Achievement Award
December 9, 2017 - April 14, 2018Standards-Based Instruction for Teachers of World Languages/ESL
December 9, 2017 - April 14, 2018Standards-Based Instruction for Teachers of French
December 9, 2017 - April 14, 2018Standards-Based Unit Design: The AP Framework for Spanish Language and Culture
October 14, 2017 - February 24, 2018